Tuesday, August 23, 2011

An Earthquake, seriously??

I cannot even believe that I am actually writing this.....I was sitting at my desk, working, minding my own business, when all of the sudden, the entire house starts shaking! I mean like pictures rattling, cupboards opening etc. I am now 37 weeks pregnant, and I know I am crazy and hormonal at times, but this is not happening just in my mind! In fact, we are experiencing an earthquake in Washingon DC with a magnitude of 5.9.

I realized in that moment as I sat at my desk surround by about three or four glass windows, that I had no idea what do in that moment. I am entirely too pregnant to crawl under my desk at this point and by the time that I locate other furniture, the shaking would have stopped. So I calmly got up, and waddled outside as quickly as I could which apparantley was the worst thing I could have done since I stood right by a lamp post and a tree which could have been uprooted and hit me on the head.

As soon as the shaking stopped, I tried calling my husband and realized that since everyone was probably calling a husband or wife, I could not get through! When I finally got through, we realized that our little boy's daycare was probably being evacuated like the thousands of other buildings that were being evacuated as well. We tried calling first rather than acting like neurotic parents and realized that , guess what, their phones were not working either. I rushed over to him, as they would not let him in the building to get his car, and we drove over to Luke's school.

We got there, and sure enough they were hauling kids left and right out the door into the field. I must admit, they were incredible resourceful. They were loading 5-6 kids in cribs and wheeling the really little ones out in that. The kids were loving all the chaos. They were so happy to see parents and were practically throwing kids at their parents. They could not call us for obvious reasons and get this, they were not allowed back in either! Imagine have all these infants, toddlers and preschoolers outside in a field for the next 4 hours until the school closes at 6p without access to food, water, diapers, bathrooms, etc. NIGHTMARE! They did a great job and Luke was home with us safe and sound about an hour later. I tell ya, adding kids to natural disasters adds a whole new dimension to panic and worry.

I didnt realize that we needed contingency plans for earthquakes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment